Make your day better by doing something different or fun! It doesn’t have to be a thing, you don’t even need an excuse to do it. A random Tuesday is reason enough. ‘Just because‘ makes it perfectly justified! Here are 60 challenges to remind you that change can start small. All it takes is one step.
Step one: How do you feel today? Click on the text and find your challenge!
Step two: Pick one challenge at random. Don’t overthink it! You know which will be the best one? The one you actually do.
Step three: Do it! :)
You’re feeling… good (I knew that you would)
Your main challenge:
keep up the good work
& make someone else smile in the process!
- Try a new route on the way home – take a different turn! Maybe there’s a lovely little shop hiding there?
- Give an honest compliment to someone who looks like they really need it. It can be a cashier or someone your queuing with for the bus!
- Write a gratitude list – it will help to appreciate what you already have, and you can read it back later! What are five things that make you happy right now?
- Send someone a song — either as a YouTube video link, or, if you really want to be old-school, request a song on the radio!
- Buy yourself a cup of coffee or an ice cream. It’s perfectly fine to enjoy your lovely company!
- Call a friend and set up a meeting within a week! Chatting online is fine, but face-to-face beats FaceTime any day. :)
- While you’re in the zone, plan your next week and block out time for stuff you are likely to procrastinate saying you ‘don’t have time’. (Gym? Blogging? What are you putting off?) You do have time — the trick is, you have to MAKE it.
- Make a wish if you see a star (airplanes count as well).
- Be brave, don’t censor yourself at all, and write down your BIGGEST dream. What would be the first step to start your journey towards that dream? Make it happen!
- Prepare a little surprise for yourself and plant it in your coat pocket. (It can be spare change, a lovely rock, or a pretty seashell. Or even a little snack.) Forget about it and be suprised tomorrow! :D Extra tip: you can do this to someone you live with. Don’t pick messy stuff, melting chocolate in your coat is not fun.
- Write a thank you letter to someone who inspires you! It doesn’t have to be a proper letter, even sending a heartfelt twitter message to your favourite author or journalist can mean a lot. Don’t expect an answer, do it because it would make their day! If you get any kind of reply, that’s a bonus, but don’t make that your goal.
- Take a grinning selfie! It doesn’t have to be flattering, just you. That’s perfectly enough.
- Let someone ahead in the queue if you see they’re running late.
- Share the love: find ways to give back, volunteer, or donate to a cause close to your heart.
- Make a big jar of lemonade (or smoothie, or whatever is your speciality), and share it with your coworkers or friendly neighbours! Also works with cake. :)
- Watch a cartoon! Find your childhood favourite, find a new favourite, or, if there’s a child in you life, let them educate you on what they like to watch. :) Listen to their whys (what makes them excited about the story, who is their favourite character, etc.).
- Declare one of your accessories or jewellerys lucky. Bam, it now is, because you said so. You can even make up a ceremony to mark the occassion. From now on, this will bring you luck, confidence when you need it the most.
- Go through your bookshelf, collect books you no longer need, and donate them to charity shops. If you see something you like, pick up a new book second hand! Bedtime reading sorted.
- Write motivational quotes, kind words on colourful paper. Randomly drop them into letterboxes or leave them under windscreen wipers.
- Call someone you haven’t talked to in a while.
You’re feeling… meh (we all have those days!)
Your main challenge:
get out of your funk
& take a step out of your comfort zone.
- Do an experiment! While you’re walking down the street, smile at people (even if you don’t feel like it). Who will smile back? If someone does, that will geniunely make you happier.
- Do the scariest thing on your to do list! Just get it over with. Don’t procrastinate, it doesn’t have to be perfect. (Here are more tips for beating procrastination!)
- Open a window in your room, let the fresh air in and take five deep breaths!
- Paint your nails with the colour that always makes you happy. (It’s electric pink for me!)
- Randomly pick a place on a globe (or Google maps), and learn about that country from Wikipedia!
- Decluttering made easy: find 3 things on your desk you can throw out / put away / donate! Just three! Just start somewhere!
- Eat a piece of fruit and drink a big glass of water!
- Sing with a song that comes on the radio. It doesn’t matter if you don’t exactly know the lyrics. Or you don’t have a good voice.
- Look at cute animal pictures — but try to find uncommon ones! We all know kittens and puppies are cute, but have you seen a baby tapir?
- Try a new, quick recipe! I’m sure you have loads pinned to your “Try this some time!” board. Now’s the time. :)
- Find a quiet place, make yourself a cup of tea, and just sit in silence with your brew, not thinking (or at least try not to think) of all the stuff that’s going on. Aah, bliss.
- Light a candle and look into the flame while breathing slowly.
- Take pictures of random stuff that you like! It may be a pretty tree, or a shop window that’s decorated in your style.
- Watch music videos that were popular during your teenage years. Do you miss those times? Are you happy they are over? :)
- Stop reading the news. Just give yourself a break from all the breaking news that keeps happening. It’s exhausting. Go offline if that helps. Spend that time on yourself.
- Write a rap song about your life (with shitty rhymes and all). Perform it in front of a mirror. Don’t audition for X-Factor. :D
- Pick up an unfinished project you abandoned some time ago. You don’t have to finish it, just do some progress.
- Pamper time! Use a face mask and create a spa evening for yourself. Open that fancy tub of moisturiser you keep for special occasions. This is a special one!
- Find a playground when all the kids are gone, and go on the slide or try swings! You can definitely can get away with this past turning 30. I speak from experience.
- Print your favourite paintings and put them on your fridge. Ta-da, art collection in your kitchen!
You’re feeling… under the weather (it will soon pass, trust me)
Your main challenge:
Self-care, self-care, self-care!
Instead of beating yourself up,
figure out what you need to make you feel better.
- Sit up straight and try not to walk hunched. If that helps, look at the buildings you pass by. Changes your outlook on life — literally!
- Put your favourite music on and start dancing. No one is watching, just do whatever feels good! Dancing is a great way to release stress. (Yes, jumping up and down & waving your hands still counts as dancing!)
- Google a topic you have no clue about and educate yourself. What’s the story of Uzbekistan? Who was the first female quantum physicist?
- Write down what makes you sad / pissed off / angry right now. Tear it to shreds and throw it out. If you have a fireplace, you already have kindling! :)
- Draw a landscape with colouring pencils or Sharpies. Are there mountains? Is there a river flowing through your meadow?
- Watch a favourite sketch or stand up joke of your favourite comedian. Who’s yours?
- Be part of the anti-procrastination movement! Make that dreaded phone call or clean that pan you’ve been keeping on the counter for a week.
- Just stop forcing yourself to do everything. Take a shower, go to bed, sleep as soon as possible, and let this day go. Tomorrow’s a new one!
- Move your body! If you do just a few squats, pressups and tuck-jumps, endorphins will kick in, and you can also release some tension.
- Watch a heartwarming movie and let yourself cry.
- Wear something blue — might help you calm down and see clearer. Even if it’s just placebo, if it works, it works! :)
- Do you know someone who always gives the best advice? Tell them your story and ask for guidance!
- Read a couple of pages from your favourite author.
- When was the last time you felt like this? What helped you the most back then? Can you repeat that?
- Take a walk in nature – it can be a nearby park. Notice the details — small birds, rays of sunlight shining through leaves, flowers growing underneath your feet.
- Make yourself a healthy and nutritious dinner. Feeding yourself (in every sense of the word) is taking care of yourself. And that’s important. So are you.
- Change bedsheets, wash your hair, wear clean pyjamas, and start with a clean slate!
- Write down three things you love about yourself, and three things that make you a good person. Come on, I know you are one! ♥
- Stand up, stretch, and drink a big glass of water.
- Set your timer to 15 minutes and tidy up a bit — on your bed, in the kitchen, around your desk. Just pick one! Clearing out clutter can make your mind happier as well. :)